Message to U.S. Citizens: U.S. Consulate Auckland (January 28, 2023)
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Alert: Auckland Region Weather Emergency
With unprecedented rain and flooding in the region, please monitor social media for messages from the New Zealand National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and Auckland Emergency Management, such as @NZCivilDefence and @AucklandCDEM on Twitter (website) and follow instruction from local authorities.
For life-or-death emergencies only, call 111. Due to the on-going situation, expect possible extended wait times.
If you are safe at home, stay at home. Travel will continue to be difficult and potentially dangerous until the waters recede. Never drive through a flooded area. Turn around, don’t drown.
Avoid going into flooded areas. If you see others in need of rescue, please call emergency services. Do not become a victim yourself.
Water in Auckland is currently safe to drink but some neighborhoods may run out soon. Please regularly monitor https://www.watercare.co.nz/ for the latest updates.
Travelers experiencing flight cancellations or changes due to the flooding should contact their airline directly. Due to the situation, travelers should expect extended wait times.
- U.S. Consulate General Auckland, Level 3, Citigroup Building, 23 Customs Street East, Auckland 1010
- Contact information: +64 09 303 2724, AucklandACS@state.gov
- State Department Consular Affairs: +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter