From stuff.co.nz – America has come to Kaikoura – and they’re lending a hand to quake-hit locals.
Sailors from the warship USS Sampson had arrived to help out as recovery efforts gathered steam in the town, which bore the brunt of a massive 7.8-magnitude earthquake on Monday.
An interview with CDR Tim LaBenz, Commanding Officer of the USS Sampson in Kaikoura, where the USS Sampson is assisting the New Zealand Defence Force with the earthquake relief efforts:
Approximately 20 members of the Sampson crew flew ashore to assist the New Zealand forces leading the recovery efforts. Sailors with backgrounds in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, damage control, and medical treatment departed in waves onboard the ship’s helicopters from Sampson’s flight deck, eager to lend a hand.
“Sampson’s Sailors and I joined the other civil and multi-national forces ashore, and divided into groups that had a specified purpose,” said Lt. Lee Shewmake, Chief Engineer aboard Sampson, and the officer who led U.S. Sailors ashore during relief efforts. “While some Sailors set up a food distribution center in an elementary school, others delivered toilets with self-contained sewage systems to homes without plumbing to alleviate the sewage issue.”
Shewmake also sent some of his Sailors door-to-door with informational pamphlets to help residents understand what services are available to them.
- Emergency Message UPDATE for U.S. Citizens: Earthquake & Tsunami November 14, 2016
- New Zealand Civil Defence
- U.S. naval ship helps with New Zealand earthquake recovery
- Contact Information for U.S. Citizens
- Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
- Statement from U.S. Ambassador Mark Gilbert
- U.S. Navy P-3C Orion provides assistance to New Zealand after earthquake
- What happened? A message about the recent earthquake from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
- North Canterbury Earthquake Disaster Recovery Assistance.
- Earthquake Response Task Group visits Wellington Harbour.
External Media Coverage:
- US warship Sampson on its way to New Zealand, Newshub
- Earthquake: International flotilla and aircraft drafted in to help with humanitarian relief in Kaikoura, Stuff.co.nz
- Fleet of international warships to help out with earthquake response, NZ Herald
- Audrey Young: Kaikoura solidarity will be remembered longer than any naval party, NZ Herald
- Overseas warships move into Kaikoura, uncertainty over when schools will open, One News
- ‘You have become part of history’, Radio New Zealand
- USS Sampson warship: Gerry Brownlee thanks sailors for help with earthquake relief in Kaikoura, Stuff.co.nz
- Bill English says thanks to US crew, Newshub
- Navy ships sail into Wellington as Auckland celebrations continue, One News
- Support from the sea – On board the USS Sampson, Radio New Zealand
- Bucket of fried chicken seals warming of US-NZ relations, Stuff.co.nz