An official website of the United States government

Replacing a Limited Validity Passport
Or Changing the Descriptive Data on Your Passport

Changing the Descriptive Data on Your Passport or Replacing a Limited Validity Passport

Submit Form DS-5504 if all the following are true:

  • you can submit your most recent passport which has not been damaged; and,
  • that passport was issued less than one year ago.

Preparing a Complete Application

Please disregard the pre-printed instructions on the online forms and submit all of the following.

  • Completed, legible Form DS-5504Application for a U.S. Passport;
  • Most recent U.S. passport,
  • One (1) U.S. sized passport photograph (Note: must not be the same photo as previously used in a passport. New Zealand size photos are not the correct size. Submitted passport photos must have  a white, off-white or cream background).
  • Applicants under age 16: One parent is required to sign the application. Please submit the child’s original birth certificate and the signing parent’s original photographic identity, such as a valid passport.
  • If applicable, original documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (certified photocopies are not acceptable).
  • A courier envelope for return of your new and old passports (Note: we are unable to accept Registered Post envelopes to return the documents.).


There are no fees for this application.

Submitting the Application

  • In person: If you would like to submit this application in person, please schedule an appointment (NOTE below about appointments) in order to do so. Note: A courier envelope must be provided with applications submitted in person.
  • By mail: Applications should be mailed to the Consulate General Auckland.


Please remember to print your appointment confirmation and bring it with you to the Consulate.

Please be advised that the appointment time is a guide as to when you should plan to be at the Consulate. It is not necessarily the time you will be seen by the Consular Officer. Applicants should plan to spend at least an hour at the Consulate.

Please use this link  to make an appointment at the Auckland Consulate General.

Access to the U.S. Consulate Auckland

For the safety of all of our customers and staff, all visitors to the Consulate must pass through security screening at our reception area before entering the Consulate. Please allow time for screening before your appointment.

The Consulate General’s hours of operation are from 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM.  You will not be able to access the Consulate’s reception area outside of these hours.  At no time are you authorized to remain in the lobby of the Citigroup Building while awaiting Consular services. We appreciate your patience and cooperation.

Please do not bring luggage, including backpacks, to your appointment. You will not be able to bring these items into the Consulate, and there is no storage available in our office.

Mobile telephones and other telecommunication devices, electronic recording devices, and cameras may not be taken into the Consulate. Please turn them off, and leave them with the guards at the reception area. They can be collected after your appointment.

Aerosols of any kind are prohibited, and must be left with the guards until after your appointment.

Any type of headwear, including baseball caps, must be removed while in the Consulate.