An official website of the United States government

Emergency Passport
Request an Emergency Passport

Request an Emergency Passport

In order to qualify for an emergency passport, you must have travel booked within the next two weeks. We will ask to see confirmation of your itinerary. You may contact AucklandACS@state.gov for further instructions.

Current processing time for a full-validity U.S. passport is 10-15 business days after issuance. Generally, passport applications are processed in less time; however, we require up to 15 business days to ensure that we can return the passport to you.

If you are traveling within 15 business days, we may elect to issue you an emergency U.S. passport, which will be limited to the amount of time you need to enter the United States.

If you are not traveling within 15 business days, please proceed with scheduling a regular appointment, and continue to monitor the scheduling page to check on changes or cancellations which may allow you to move forward your appointment.

Required Documents

Application requirements, including fees, for emergency passports are the same as those for full-validity passports. For a list of required documents, please return to the Passport page and select the service you require from the list, or through the wizard.

Submitting the Application

In Person:

  • Please email aucklandacs@state.gov to request an appointment for an emergency passport; include your full name, contact details, proposed travel dates, destination and reason for the emergency passport.

By Mail:

  • Certain applications must be submitted in person at the U.S. Consulate. If your passport cannot normally be renewed by mail but you require an emergency passport, the application will still need to be submitted in person at a Consulate.
  • If you do not live close to a Consulate and the passport application can be renewed by mail, please submit the application by mail and include a brief cover letter stating your travel date. If our office does not have sufficient time to issue a full-validity passport, we may elect to issue an emergency passport for your travels.

For non-emergency issues, please see our general contact information.

Returning to the United States on an Expired U.S. Passport

If you are overseas and your passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until June 30, 2022 from some countries.  See this page for more information.  Please note that this is not an option when transiting from or through New Zealand.  U.S. Consulate General Auckland has passport appointments available if you need to renew your expired U.S. passport.