An official website of the United States government

Report of Birth Abroad
Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  United States non-citizen nationals are also eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, using the non-citizen option.

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.


To apply, your child must have been born in New Zealand and you must travel to the U.S. Consulate General in Auckland for the in-person interview.


To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online, you MUST answer all the following criteria with ‘YES’.


  1. Was the child born in New Zealand, the Cook Islands, Western Samoa, or Niue?
  2. Is the child under the age of 18?
  3. Was at least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born?
  4. Can you use an internationally accepted credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application?
  5. Are you a biological parent of a child born abroad who is applying for that child?


If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029). 

How to Apply

You can now apply for a CRBA electronically at Auckland!  This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview. 

Consular Report Birth Abroad

  1. To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov account.  MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal. Watch the video below to learn more about creating your account.


2. Once you have created a MyTravelGov account you can access eCRBA and submit your application online. The easy-to-use online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions on how to complete the application.

3. Once you complete the online application and submit payment, you will then be directed to schedule your appointment at the U.S. Consulate General in Auckland. Please email us at CRBAAuckland@state.gov to schedule your appointment.  Please Note: Do NOT make another (or duplicate) payment for a CRBA ($100) at the U.S. Consulate General in Auckland.  If you choose to pay online, you must do so at least 72 hours before your interview.

4. Attend your scheduled in-person interview with your original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application. You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. The child must be present at the time of the interview. 

Need Help?

We are here to help!

For questions or concerns please contact CRBAAuckland@state.gov.

Other Important Information

Note:  If you prefer to submit a paper-based application, please email us at CRBAAuckland@state.gov for instructions.  

Passport applications and Social Security Card applications must be completed and submitted separately.  

Please note that an application for a Social Security Number can only be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport. To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, see further details https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/social-security.