An official website of the United States government

Emergency Financial Assistance

Emergency Financial Assistance

U.S. consuls can assist Americans abroad who are temporarily destitute due to unforeseen circumstances. Americans who find themselves in these circumstances should contact the Consulate General or the State Department’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services at 1-888-407-4747 (during business hours) or 202-647-5225 (after hours). Consular officers can help destitute Americans contact family, bank, or employer to arrange for transfer of funds. In some cases, these funds can be wired through the Department of State. For information on how a consular officer can help under these circumstances, see travel.state.gov.

Fund transfers from the U.S. are straightforward. Most people can arrange family or friends to get them money through commercial channels with the help of a collect phone call. Money on credits and through Western Union is the fastest and easiest. Although there is a mechanism for transferring funds through the Department of State, it is slower and more complex than through commercial channels in a country like New Zealand.

Western Union:

New Zealand Head Office
8 Gordon Road
Ph: 0800 005 253

Money transfers can be received within 30 minutes from the U.S. Cost is based on amount being transferred. The maximum amount for transfer at one time US$5,000, and the recipient must collect in person with appropriate photo ID.

Additional Resources:


Emergency Services

American Citizen Services (ACS) Emergency Walk-In Services:
Monday-Friday 8.00am- 11:45am and 1:00pm-3:45pm.

Telephone inquiries:
Monday-Friday 7.30am-4.00pm.

All other ACS services by appointment.

Phone: +64 9 303 2724 ext:2900.
Email: aucklandacs@state.gov.
Fax: +64 9 (0) 303 1069.