Citizenship Services

All appointments for Consular Report Birth Abroad (CRBA) applications at the U.S. Consulate General Auckland, will be made through a mail-in preprocessing appointment schedule system in. The system will reduce the wait time and help families prepare for the citizenship appointment at the Consulate.

What Service Do You Require?

Children born abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) may have a claim to U.S. citizenship. The following will assist in determining if a child has a claim, and the requirements to register them as a U.S. citizen born abroad:

  • Applicants under the age of 18 should apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).
    • A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
    • CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please refer to Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship.
    • Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in possession of a valid U.S. passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country, as well.
  • Applicants over the age of 18 should submit a Derivative Claim to Citizenship.

If an American citizen does not meet the requirements to transmit their citizenship to a foreign-born child and have a CRBA issued, there may be another path to citizenship for the child. The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows certain foreign-born, biological and adopted children of American citizens to acquire American citizenship automatically.

Please note that the acquisition of U.S. citizenship via the Child Citizenship Act is adjudicated and administered by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). Accordingly, we must direct all inquiries for applications under the Child Citizenship Act to the USCIS. There is no office for the USCIS in New Zealand, however, filing instructions can be found here.

U.S. citizens considering renouncing or relinquishing their U.S. nationality should carefully review and understand the consequences and ramifications of doing so.

If you are interested in information about how to renounce or relinquish your U.S. citizenship in New Zealand, please send an email to  You will receive a complete set of instructions and forms by email.

Former U.S. citizens who previously lost their U.S. citizenship may request to have their loss of nationality reconsidered.

The U.S. Government recognizes the existence of dual nationality and permits Americans to have other nationalities; however they also recognize the problems which it may cause, and therefore does not encourage it as a matter of policy. Please carefully review the Department of State’s information regarding Dual Nationality.

All U.S. citizens, regardless of the nationality’s they may hold, must maintain their obligations to the United States. Dual nationals traveling to the United States are required to enter and depart the U.S. using their U.S. passport, and are required to file annual tax returns. For further information, please see the information regarding Dual Nationality.