New Passport Applications

Follow the process detailed below if you are:

  • renewing a U.S. passport issued over 15 years ago;
  • renewing a U.S. passport that was issued while you were under the age of 16; or,
  • a first-time passport applicant over age 16.

Applicants over the age of 16 who have never been documented as a U.S. citizen must first establish their claim to U.S. citizenship.

Completing the Application

Please print out only one-sided pages of the application, and submit all of the following in person at the Consulate serving your area or at a Consular Outreach visit.

  • Completed (but not signed) Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport;
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship (ie: previous U.S. passport and original U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad certificate)
  • Evidence of identity (current driver’s license, foreign passport or military ID)
  • One (1) U.S. sized passport photograph (Note: these are a different size from New Zealand passport photographs. Submitted passport photos must have  a white, off-white or cream background.)
  • If applicable, original documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (certified photocopies are not acceptable)
  • Applicable fee
  • Self-addressed courier envelope for return of your new and old passports
  • Make an appointment.
  • Applicants must bring a photocopy of the documents they are submitting in support of their applications.
  • Applicants aged 16 and 17 years are entitled to an adult passport, but still require parental awareness in order to issue the passport.  To complete this requirement, either one parent should attend the applicant’s passport interview and sign Form DS-11 with the applicant in front of the consular officer, or a parent can submit a notarized Form DS-3053 with a copy of the parent’s ID along with Form DS-11 (the passport application) at the time of the interview.

Submitting the Application

The application must be signed by the applicant in the presence of a Consular Officer at the U.S. Consulates General in Auckland or at a Consular Outreach visit – this requirement cannot be waived.