Follow the process detailed below if you are:
- renewing a U.S. passport issued over 15 years ago;
- renewing a U.S. passport that was issued while you were under the age of 16; or,
- a first-time passport applicant over age 16.
Applicants over the age of 16 who have never been documented as a U.S. citizen must first establish their claim to U.S. citizenship.
Completing the Application
Please print out only one-sided pages of the application, and submit all of the following in person at the Consulate serving your area.
- Completed (but not signed) Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport;
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship (ie: previous U.S. passport and original U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad certificate)
- Evidence of identity (current driver’s license, foreign passport or military ID)
- One (1) U.S. sized passport photograph (Note: these are a different size from New Zealand passport photographs.)
- If applicable, original documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (certified photocopies are not acceptable)
- Applicable fee
- Self-addressed courier envelope for return of your new and old passports (Note: we are unable to accept Registered Post envelopes to return the documents.)
Submitting the Application
The application must be signed by the applicant in the presence of a Consular Officer at the U.S. Consulates General in Auckland – this requirement cannot be waived.
Services are provided by appointment only, which can be scheduled online.