Applicants who are renewing their passport, changing their legal name or correcting information on a previous passport issued may use the Form DS-82 if all of the following are true:
- you are able to submit your most recent passport;
- you were at least 16 years old when that passport was issued; and,
- that passport was issued less than 15 years ago.
Applicants who do not meet all of these requirements should refer to “Applications requiring personal appearance” on the passport page.
Applications to renew a damaged passport via mail may be accepted at our discretion if all the identifying information is still legible. If the photograph or identifying information is illegible, or the passport is significantly damaged, please refer to the information regarding Lost/Stolen/Damaged passports.
Preparing a Complete Application
Disregard the pre-printed instructions on the online forms – the application can be submitted to the U.S. Consulates in New Zealand for processing. Please submit all of the following:
- Completed, legible, and signed Form DS-82: Application for a U.S. Passport;
- Most recent U.S. passport
- One (1) U.S. sized passport photograph (Note: these are a different size from New Zealand passport photographs.)
- Self addressed prepaid courier envelope for the return of your new and old passports
- Applicable fee: NZ$165.00; payments can be by Bank cheque (personal/business checks are not accepted), and must be payable to the “U.S. Consulate General”. Under no circumstances are other payees accepted, including payments made payable to the “Department of State.” Please do not write anything on the face of the Bank cheque — our cashier is unable to process it as valid payment. Incorrect payments cannot be accepted, even if there is an overpayment.
- If applicable, original documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (photocopies certified by a Justice of the Peace are not acceptable)
- For damaged passports: a signed statement outlining the reason the passport is damaged
Submitting the Application
- In person: If you would like to submit this application in person, place completed application including a self-addressed courier envelope in the drop box located with security.
- By mail: Applications should be mailed to the Consulate General in Auckland.